For the last couple of months I have had a hard time staying motivated. I decided to put all of my projects on hold and just read books. That’s why there haven’t been any Sound Design Live podcasts in a while and I haven’t published my eBook (yikes!). At my lowest points everything seems wrong and I just lay in bed staring out of the window. At my highest points I am excited to get back on the path of self-discovery. Today is one of those high points. I present to you a short story in outline format:
- I study A Course In Miracles.
- I just finished Steve Pavlina’s book where this paragraph appears on the last page, “Fully develop your human abilities, and use your power in honorable service for the highest good of all. False power corrupts, but true power elevates. The more you resonate with truth and love, the greater your ability to wield power wisely. No one is served by your refusal to shine.“
- Last night was Halloween. I was chatting with a slutty lamp. At one point she pulled a tinny rolled up piece of paper from her glove and read this quote, which she attributed to Nelson Mandela, “Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us; it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.“
- It turns out the quote is really from Marianne Williamson’s book A Return To Love: Reflections on the Principles of A Course in Miracles.
- In this example, I am George W. Bush and the universe is Brian.