I love podcasts! I don’t have a radio or a television, so this is how I get most of my entertainment and news. Plus, they make the commute to San Francisco a lot more fun. It’s like a DVR for radio. Don’t worry if you hate iTunes, most of these are streamable from their websites or on your phone using and app called Stitcher [see note below].
- Yoda and Me – Best comedy podcast I’ve heard. Short and hilarious. When I was on tour two years ago with Springer Theatricals I got everyone in the company hooked on Yoda and Me and we would listen to them together on the buss driving from one theatre to the next. David Hornsby (“It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia”) & Loren Tarquinio (“Free Radio”) have stopped producing new episodes, but their twitter feed is still updated regularly.
- Best episode – Episode 11: Yoda Samantha (with special guest Emily Deschanel from Bones)
- Stuff You Should Know – I listen to as many as these as I can. Smart and funny. This is what podcasts should be like, as good as or better than radio. The bar for entry into podcasting is so low that producers don’t take their content seriously. Most shows I hear out there could be edited down by 50%. One critique for Stuff You Should Know, clever titles don’t work. When I’m picking out a show to listen to, I don’t want to try to guess what the topic is. Stick to strong headlines.
- Best episode – Are There People Who Feel Others’ Pain?
- Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me – I used to listen to this every weekend with my parents. Plus, The Colbert Report only plays on weekdays so I need something to fill the hole. Political humor for the whole family
- Sex Nerd Sandra – Sexy, smart, funny. How can you go wrong? Well, you can actually. This one just barely made it onto my list, mostly because I don’t have anything else discussing modern sexuality. Their topics and most of their content are great, but they need to learn how to edit out the crap. I still recommend it, because otherwise I wouldn’t know what a cock ring is for, but save it for a long car ride. One more critique, stop with the clever titles, jesus, I just want to know what the show is about. You can be funny AFTER I push play.
- Best episode – Handjobs for Everyone! for teaching me the Pussy Hug
- My Podcasts!
- Sound Design Live – Audio tech for the live event industry. Sound engineers, sound designer, students, and musicians. My goal is to create a fun personal bi-monthly show to share techniques, technology, and motivation from industry leaders.
- Best episode – Build A $100,000 Mixing Board
- Big Time Dates – Comedy + Dating. The only 30-second podcast guaranteed to get your date sucked. And if you don’t know what that means, then get ready for a surprise.
- Best episode – The Bookmark
NOTE: If you want to use Stitcher to stream podcasts on your mobile device follow this link and after you have downloaded the app, enter SOUNDDESIGN under “How did you hear about Stitcher.” Thanks!
I’ve been using Spotify a lot recently so I’m looking forward to when they start offering podcasts because that could get a lot more people involved.
What are your favorite podcasts? Turn me on to something great!